The 19-year-old women who has sued NFL player Andrew Maxwell for sexual assault has testified that she flew to Nebraska with him and didn’t have a romantic interest in him.
Maxwell, a former quarterback at the University of Miami who signed with the Detroit Lions last year, has pleaded not guilty to one count of sexual abuse. The Michigan native lives in Omaha, Neb., where he plays for the Omaha Nighthawks. He also has played for the Omaha Nighthawks’ rookie league and some for the CFL’s Toronto Argonauts.
It is a Class A misdemeanor to have sex with someone under the age of 17.
Watch live replay of Andrew Maxwell’s court hearing here:
The lawsuit, which seeks $50 million, was filed earlier this year in Sioux Falls, S.D. According to the lawsuit, Maxwell “got too hot” during a gathering to celebrate Maxwell’s birthday at a house on the Sioux Falls campus and “attempted to overcome the young woman’s sexual and physical resistance by pushing her up against the wall.”
One month later, the party turned violent, according to the lawsuit, which says Maxwell and the plaintiff were on the roof of the house when the party went “bad.”
According to the lawsuit, Maxwell yelled, “Take a swing at me.” The suit claims that Maxwell placed the girl on the ground and threw her down on a couch. According to the lawsuit, Maxwell did not touch her in a sexual manner.
The plaintiff, identified only as Jane Doe in the suit, says she was “strangled, carried by her feet, punched multiple times in the face and stomach and shoved to the ground.”
Lawyers for the plaintiff’s parents say they lived nearby and were at a different house, although the age of consent in South Dakota is 16.
Leo Miner, Maxwell’s attorney, has said there is no evidence that Maxwell assaulted the plaintiff.
Last year, a Norman, Okla., police officer investigating the lawsuit said the girl did not appear to be assaulted. Maxwell, a quarterback at the University of Miami from 2011 to 2014, was quarterback at John Marshall High School in south Florida from 2010 to 2012.
Watch one-time NFL receiver bite new teammate in mouth after an altercation:
LA prosecutor fires back after LAPD seeks felony charge against Alec Baldwin
Baldwin and actor Nick Nolte were men in blue investigating two incidents that led to one incident on the roof of the house at the time.
However, just before Doe’s scheduled departure home on June 21, 2016, her lawyer says Doe heard from Caldwell that she was being charged with sexual assault by the Las Vegas City Attorney.
“Ms. Doe got upset and very upset and began screaming at her mother about what had happened,” Joseph Andrews told the court.
The woman explained that she had been picked up by her parents at the party and had “a very uneasy feeling about going home.”
Her father told her to file a police report because “it’s too late,” Andrews said.
Andrews said the woman’s mother, Floyd Caldwell, went to the Yankton County jail to speak with a deputy who was checking out the house on June 21.
“Ms. Doe was very upset and very upset,” Caldwell testified. “You had better tell her to get on the plane, otherwise she’s coming home to Nebraska.”
When Caldwell flew with the woman to Nebraska the next day, the lawsuit says she made the decision not to return to Nebraska with her mother.
Caldwell said he told the woman that she needed to get home “and not talk to her mother.” He said when the woman was alone with him in his hotel room, she didn’t seem bothered by the conversation.
“He didn’t look worried, stressed,” Caldwell said.
Doe has said Maxwell is her husband.